Re: [News] Screenshots Gallery of India's Mature Linux

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:59:31 +0000
<2032378.TVBNBZg1bn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> BOSS 2.0 Beta Screenshots
>
> http://shots.linuxquestions.org/?linux_distribution_sm=BOSS%202.0%20Beta

Hm.  Another blue one.  This one apparently has the interesting
capability of allowing a default login after a timeout, and shows it.

I'm less than thrilled with the Bulk Document Converter
wizard, though part of it might be that the next page
thereof has lots of various options, not shown in this
demo walkthrough.  Ideally, though, options such as recursion,
recursive depth, and document type would be included here.

"Select input as PDF document only"?  That could be reworded.

> Related:
>
> BOSS Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | BOSS is a Linux distribution developed specifically for the Indian
> | environment to enhance the use of Free/Open Source Software in the
> | country. BOSS Linux consists of an easy to use desktop environment,
> | English/Indian language support and other packages that are most
> | relevant for the use in the government domain.
> |
> | Future versions of BOSS will support the educational domain as well.
> | BOSS Linux is developed by C-DAC team and their ultimate goal is to
> | localize it into all 22 official Indian languages so that Information
> | Technology can reach even the non-English speaking masses that are
> | denied its benefits today.
> `----
>
> http://news.softpedia.com/news/cBOSS-Linux-44080.shtml
>

> India can live without Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | More than 6,500 Linux systems have already been packed off to
> | villages and another 6,100 Acer desktop systems with Suse on
> | their way.
> |
> | Umashankar said that more than 20,000 desktop systems will be
> | installed in schools that will only run on Suse. All ELCOT
> | servers will run on Redhat. ELCOT expects to train 30,000
> | government officials in Linux and Open Office too.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36689

What, Microsoft hasn't shown India the Vista "light" yet? :-)

[rest snipped for brevity]

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because it's not the desktop that's
important, it's the ability to DO something
with it.