[News] New Linux Distributions Address Niche, Particular Purposes

New distributions added to waiting list

,----[ Quote ]
| # Hardened Linux. Hardened Linux is a minimalist hardened
| distribution based on Slackware Linux. It is optimised to
| run as firewall system, VPN gateway, IDS system, and
| authentication system. Currently not all of these
| features are fully implemented.
|
| # ValEnt Linux. ValEnt Linux is a complete home and
| office operating system...
|
| [...]
|
| DistroWatch database summary
|
|     * Number of all distributions in the database: 524
|     * Number of all active distributions in the database: 351
|     * Number of discontinued distributions: 104
|     * Number of distributions on the waiting list: 178
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070122#waiting

Related:

Salesforce.com CEO: Customization is king

,----[ Excerpt ]
| Marc Benioff argues that Apex will let customers diverge further
| from one-size-fits-all hosted applications approach.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6124153.html?part=rss&tag=6124153&subj=news

Philosophy of Non-Competition

,----[ Quote ]
| People periodically ask me about competition in the open source
| community, especially competition between various languages.
|
| One thing Microsoft seems to have figured out is that developers
| want multiple languages to choose from and will always want
| multiple languages to choose from. Diversity is an advantage,
| not a disadvantage. Ruby, for example, benefits from Perl, PHP,
| and Python's success, just like they benefit from Ruby's success.
| Java would likely never have been released as open source if it
| weren't for the success of the other languages. Having multiple
| successful open source languages each used by multiple successful
| projects makes it that much easier for companies to consider open
| source alternatives. The more the merrier.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2006/12/philosophy_of_n.html

The power of the open source ecosystem

,----[ Quote ]
| What have I learned from my Apple experience? I learned the power
| of integration. It's clear that there is very, very little "code
| duplication" in OS X. For example, the text editor you get in pretty
| much every Apple program (Apple Mail, TextEditor, and pretty much
| everything else with an editor in it) is clearly always the same
| one. This could be considered an implementation detail, but I can
| tell you that users notice it, because everything is so consistent.
|
| The same thing can be said about applications: there is "one" of
| everything (one addressbook, one program to manage your photos, and
| so on). Linux, on the other hand, is all about choice: there are
| many, many ways to do anything. The divide between KDE and Gnome
| is a prime example. It is true that the open source ecosystem
| tends to ensure that the best supported and most used applications
| tend to emerge. However, in Linux if you want to browse the
| Internet you can pick between Konqueror, Firefox, and so on. To
| write your email, you can use Kmail, Thunderbird, Evolution. All
| of them have their strengths, and ll of them are fantastic.
|
| [...]
|
| Having experienced both worlds, I can honestly say that I much
| prefer the open source way. Choice isn't just important: it's
| crucial. Trusting the natural open source ecosystem ensures that
| only the best applications emerge and thrive. However, I also
| believe that giving users a "simplified way" of doing things is
| essential - and that's exactly what (K)Ubuntu is doing.
| It's a longer and bumpier road, but it brings better results -
| and it's a much funner ride.
`----

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000245

Ubuntu - the best Linux distribution?