Re: [News] New Linux User is a Former Microsoft Fanboy

begin  oe_protect.scr
William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:50:55 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> How Microsoft Lost a Customer
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | While growing up I only used Microsoft products as I had no need to
>> | use anything else. When Windows XP first came out I purchased it
>> | within a week of its release date. At that point you could have even
>> | called me a Microsoft Fanboy as anything Microsoft did was absolutely
>> | correct there was no other way.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Today I use Linux, but still follow Microsoft because that is
>> | what the average person uses. For me to convert back to Windows
>> | it will take Microsoft about two years of staying on top of
>> | updates and having a secure operating system. Right now I want
>> | to believe in Microsoft, but their history speaks for them. It
>> | is hard to believe that they have changed until its proven with
>> | the test of time.
>> `----
>>
>> http://zacgarrett.com/2006/12/17/How-Microsoft-Lost-a-Customer/
>>
>> If Zac could make this mental and technical transition, so can our resident
>> trolls.
>
> I doubt they (the trolls) could tie their own bootlaces (if they're
> allowed to have shoes with laces in the "home"). Before I filtered them,
> the trolls used to regularly post that they couldn't do this, couldn't do
> that, etc in linux (maybe they still do). I often wondered whether they
> could find their own arse with both hands, & did they know how incompetent
> & stupid they looked....or did they even care. Lord knows who would employ
> them, I *certainly* wouldn't have.

Interesting observation on employability.  We've just, finally, let go
our last au-pair.  We've had several nannies, followed by several
au-pairs (when the kids were old enough not to need formally trained
carers).  Our very last au-pair was by far the least capable character
we've had, I can only describe him as a mummy's boy.  He was not really
able to take care of himself, let alone anyone else;  he couldn't cook,
clean, was unreliable about personal hygeine, didn't understand basics
like at what temperature germs die, couldn't really drive (managed to
crash the car on first time out, into a wall!).  He could, however,
manage to get onto a chat server, and would spend as much of his spare
time as he could on audio/video chat.

We've had some fantastically good nannies and au-pairs, some of whom
we're still in touch with now, and some who I doubt are ever likely to
retain any gainful employment for any reasonable period.  Perhaps these
are the kind of people who end up trolling usenet for a few groat?

"A University without students is like an ointment without a fly."
	-- Ed Nather, professor of astronomy at UT Austin