Re: [News] 7 Reasons to Move from Windows to Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 22 January 2007 09:15 \__

"buy-it---plug-it-in---it-had-better-work----with-no-gurus-or-admins-or-tweaks".

>>> You know, like a TV. Plug in the power, plug in the cable, push the
>>> button.
>>>
>>> Linux won't be mass market until vendors sell it preinstalled on new
>>> PCs, ready-to-go. There are not many of those yet.
>>
>> Idiot.  So it's not that Linux isn't ready, it's the OEM's who are "not
>> ready" (thanks to Micro$oft pressure and incentives).
>>

> Cross-posting removed.
>
> Linux is selling very well where Microsoft are not able to stop
> pre-installs, including PDA/Web tablets (Nokia 770, 800), Satnav (Tomtom
> GO700, 990, etc), phones (Motorola A680, etc.), and so on, as well as in
> routers, adsl modems and firewalls (Linksys, Thompson, Alcatel).
>
> Unlike traditional PCs, these devices really do just work when you
> switch them on.

It's quite true. When it comes to appliances, for example, we never think
about rebooting devices, do we? Palm handhelds can run for months or years
without ever rebooting. On the contrary, for Windows-based handhelds it's a
regular routine. My work computer has been up for over 3 months. As for
peripherals, I only had to 'reboot' my external hard-drive once since I
bought it a year ago. A campus-wide outage (lasted just a couple of seconds)
caused it to go into an odd state. Maybe there have been a few more quirks
in the past month, but usually it's the case of set it and forget about it.
Since computing is so synonymous with Windows, computer viruses are assumed,
'refreshes' of one's systems (reboot) are considered necessary, and software
(code/information) is assumed to have a hefty price tag.

Try telling people that a perfectly-capable PC should only cost 120 quid...

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
Tasks: 133 total,   1 running, 130 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie