Re: [News] Windows Vista Can Sabotage OpenDocument Adoption

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:31:31 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> How could Windows Vista make the adoption of the Open Document Format more
> difficult?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Cryptography is similar to an automatic teller machine (ATM) that
>| releases the money to you (decrypts the doc) after you have
>| authenticated yourself with the card as well as the PIN number
>| (public and private key). IRM [Microsoft's Information Rights Management]
>| is like a nefarious big brother that was hired by the bank to follo
>|  you around after you got the money from the ATM, making sure that
>| you spend it 'appropriately' or what the 'big brother' considers to
>| be just. In turn, Microsoft does not just control who opens the
>| document but it also controls what they can do afterwards....If the
>| Open Source Software spreads and government organizations continue
>| to insist on the use of the Open Document Format, consumers and
>| citizens will be grateful a couple of years down the line.
>| Otherwise Microsoft will tell us what we can and what we cannot
>| do with documents that we have created using a licensed version
>| of Microsoft Office.
> `----
>
> http://cytrap.eu/blog/?p=123

Bullcrap. Complete and utter Bullcrap.  This is not only FUD, but the
author doesn't even understand what he's quaking in his boots about.

IRM is a tool to allow END USERES to control who can and can't use their
documents.  Microsoft doesn't control this.  The end user or corporation
does.  This is like complaining tha PGP makes documents unreadable without
the right key.

If you don't want your documents encrypted, you don't encrypt them.  Big
freaking hairy deal.