Re: [News] RISC OS Considers the GPL

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 21 January 2007 08:48 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Castle and ROS Open reveal plans for 2007
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| He said: "We looked at using the GPL in great deal, and we had to
>>| select and modify it a lot to suit us and the situation we are in.
>>| We do need to protect our intellectual property, and have a degree
>>| of control over it. Our approach is to make the license flexible,
>>| and the controls in place can be relaxed if we feel this is
>>| necessary in future."
>>|
>>| He also acknowledged that RISC OS 5 could somewhat fork into
>>| different favours, like GNU/Linux more or less quickly did,
>>| but said said he hoped "we can move it as one lump forward,
>>| and not have bits and pieces spread out everywhere."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1786.html
>
> If they think that they have "intellectual property" to protect, then
> they've not really understood the stakes here.

They recently had some nice software added, owing to the fact that they open
up a bit. I think that much like Sun Micro they are beginning to realise
that it's a case of evolve or perish. If they adopt the GPL they could then
share some Linux kernel code, give themselves a facelift, and make use of
some 'mainstream' programs. They keep losing customers/users at the moment,
so why not assimilate to something that's free to be (re-)used?

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    United States: #1 in spam export
  9:00am  up 94 days 19:14,  6 users,  load average: 0.86, 0.83, 0.83