[News] Security Through Obscurity is Not Security, FCC Told

  • Subject: [News] Security Through Obscurity is Not Security, FCC Told
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 01:21:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
FCC ignores more than 100 years of wisdom

,----[ Quote ]
| In 1883 French cryptographer Auguste Kerckhoffs published a set of six
| design principles for military encryption systems. The second of these
| principles is generally known today under the observation that security
| through obscurity is not security. The Federal Communications Commission
| (FCC) seems not to have read the history books or to be aware of how its
|  sister federal agencies develop security standards....
`----

http://www.infoworld.nl/idgns/bericht.phtml?id=002570DE00740E1800257313005EC092

This makes you wonder if Microsoft and its ilk hijacked decision makers just as
it did a fortnight ago in New York (see below). They try to write and rewrite
policies to exclude their rivals.

Related:

The FCC, FOSS, and software radios: a mixed bag

,----[ Quote ]
| After studying the new rules -- published in the Federal Register last month
| and taking effect today -- the SFLC concluded that the laws are not
| FOSS-restrictive because they "apply to hardware manufacturers who distribute
| SDR devices, regardless if they use FOSS in them or not." And the Center says
| that since the rules specifically mention the GNU/Linux operating system, the
| FCC is actually acknowledging the importance of open source.
`----    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.linux.com/feature/116769

Microsoft Muscles the NYS Legislature

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s proposed change to state law would effectively render
| our current requirements for escrow and the ability for independent
| review of source code in the event of disputes completely meaningless
| - and with it the protections the public fought so hard for.
`----

http://nyvv.org/blog/bolipariblog.html

Changing the Report, After the Vote

,----[ Quote ]