[News] [News] Microsoft's Manoeuvres and Manipulation in Standards Bodies Broken Apart and Explained

  • Subject: [News] [News] Microsoft's Manoeuvres and Manipulation in Standards Bodies Broken Apart and Explained
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:16:22 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
How open is "open" when Microsoft say it?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft put forth the argument that OOXML is sufficiently different: ODF is
| constrained because it needs enhancements to support the detris accumulated
| over the differing versions of Microsoft Office's evolution - yet OOXML will
| also need to cater for this. It seems a hollow argument to say an entirely
| new open specification is required. Given ODF exists, and that PDF is already
| a de-facto standard for electronic document exchange, one really must
| question the significance of Ecma-approval and the genuineness of the
| word "open" in Microsoft's parlance.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13391&Itemid=1054

Related:

Microsoft: No plans to support ODF, despite supporting ANSI accreditation

,----[ Quote ]
| As the friction between ODF and OXML continues to bubble, Nick
| McGrath, Microsoft's director of platform strategy, has gone on
| record dismissing ODF as a potential solution for Microsoft, even
| as the company backs ODF for ANSI accreditation.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/05/18/microsoft-no-plans-to-support-odf-despite-backing-the-standard-for-ansi-accreditation

OOXML workshop with Microsoft and Czech standardisation institute

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.janik.cz/archives/2007/05/19/T20_32_07/