[News] Sony Playstation 3 Gets Better, Gets Much More Affordable (While Microsoft Goes the Other Way)

  • Subject: [News] Sony Playstation 3 Gets Better, Gets Much More Affordable (While Microsoft Goes the Other Way)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:08:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
New PlayStation 3 goes on sale in Aug.

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony Corp. announced a revised PlayStation 3 console Monday with a bigger
| hard drive for storing downloaded content such as video games and
| high-definition movies.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070709/ap_on_bi_ge/sony_pricing

Sony cuts price on PlayStation 3 by $100

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony also hopes the PS3 will win some converts following Microsoft's
| admission last week that the failure rate of its Xbox 360 console
| had been unacceptably high, forcing it to book $1 billion in repair
| costs.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070709/tc_nm/sony_playstation_dc

Microsoft says no plans to cut Xbox Japan price

,----[ Quote ]
| Although popular in the United States, sales of the Xbox 360 have been slow
| in Japan. Microsoft sold 122,565 of the consoles in the first half of this
| year in Japan, while Nintendo sold 1.78 million units of its Wii and Sony
| sold 503,554 of its PS3 game machines, according to game magazine publisher
| Enterbrain.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070709/bs_nm/microsoft_japan_dc

Setbacks after rumours (as if the support disaster admission was not enough)...

Related:

Linux on the PS3

,----[ Quote ]
| After a lot of back and forth I finally got Linux installed on my
| PS3. Ended up installing Yellowdog Linux.
`----

http://blogs.gnome.org/view/uraeus/2007/05/21/0

PS3 Real-time Ray-tracing

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM Interactive Ray-tracer (iRT) using three Sony Playstation3s (PS3)
| to render a model that is 75x more complex then those used in
| today's games.
`----

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/NewsCom-33982.aspx

Opera Desktop Team: Approaching 9.2 [with PPC Support]

,----[ Quote ]
| The most important is that we've fixed some issues with Flash 9
| on Linux. This means that you can now watch YouTube video
| fullscreen! (And close annyoing Flash ads.)
|
| [...]
|
| ...we have now ppc-linux .6 packages: that means that they work
| (okay, should work) on your PS3! -- if you installed Linux on it.
`----

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2007/03/30/approaching-9-2

PS3 Yellow Dog Linux Install Videos

,----[ Quote ]
| Due to the demand on the PS3 forums I am making some install videos of
| Yellow Dog Linux. Sorry about the slightly shaky footage, since I was
| installing and holding the camera at the same time.
`----

http://fatpenguinblog.com/?p=798

Yellow Dog Linux launches for PS3

,----[ Quote ]
| Once the software is released for download on the public mirrors, it will
| be free of charge.
`----

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6162316.html?sid=6162316&sid=6162316

Sony to slash PS3 price by 25%

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter,
| cited by GamesIndustry.biz, the price cut will come within 12
| months of the PS3's 23 March European launch, he believes.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/29/sony_price_cut_forecast/

Microsoft facing $1bn Xbox bill

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, has not revealed how many of its machines have suffered the
| problem, but said the number was "bigger than we are comfortable with."

Owner of eight failed Xbox 360 explains failures

,----[ Quote ]
| And although console gamers usually don’t come with the geeky and
| techie know-how of Banzai Runner hobbyists, an owner of eight failed
| Xbox 360s finally tapped into his inner geek and got the problem of
| the Xbox 360 issues down pat.
`----

http://www.kilegates.com/owner-of-eight-failed-xbox-360-explains-failures/

Microsoft deletes mass Xbox 360 crashing claims from Forza 2 forums

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gamerush.zoomshare.com/files/my_images/GameRush_Entertainment_Microsoft_deletes_mass_Xbox_360_crashing_claims_from_Forza_2_forums_News.htm