Re: Australian E-tax and Vista

____/ Gregory Shearman on Monday 09 July 2007 07:40 : \____

> Here's the blurb from the Australian Tax Office about their Microsoft only
> online tax return software:
>
> http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/73931.htm
>
> "* e-tax should work with Windows Vista. However to access the help files
> you will need to go to the Microsoft website, download WinHlp32.exe (search
> for winhelp Vista) and install it. You may get an error message when
> accessing the help files but you will still be able to view them."
>
> ================================
>
> Looks like the devs at the Australian Tax Office didn't optimise the
> software to work with Vista.
>
> Of course, it doesn't work with Linux either, to my extreme annoyance. I've
> made representations to my local Federal Member on the issue over the last
> few years... and THIS year:
>
> "We are redeveloping e-tax to make it compatible with any computer system
> that has internet access. We will test this with a small group of users in
> 2008, aiming to make it available more broadly in future years ? pending
> the success of the trials."
>
> ==================================
>
> Looks like I (and others) have been successful in pressing the case for
> online tax return access for ALL computer users, not just those with
> Windows or windows virtualisation software. Hopefully they are developing a
> browser based, rather than a software based online return system that will
> work with all browsers and all operating systems. Roll on 2008!

I thought they had already resolved the issue.

Taxman targets Mac, Linux users

,----[ Quote ]
| A spokesperson for the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) said compatibility
| of the application would extend to the Apple Macintosh and Linux
| operating systems. E-tax has so far required taxpayers to use
| Microsoft's Windows OS.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Taxman-targets-Mac-Linux-users/0,130061733,339274344,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/ypytk6

Is it not the case? Ironically enough, even the home of MEII is not able to
handle tax with MEII. In fact, the only tax one can pay is the "Vista tax",
which comes with virtually every PC.

Microsoft Can't Use Own Software To Pay Washington State Taxes

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista is incompatible with the state's electronic filing
| system, according to a bulletin published by the State of
| Washington Employment Security Department.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199100238&cid=RSSfeed_TechWeb
http://tinyurl.com/ynomsa

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com
roy      pts/5        cg001a.halls.man Sat Jul  7 18:37   still logged in