[News] [Rival] EMployee Leaves Microsoft and Explains What's Wrong with the Company

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] EMployee Leaves Microsoft and Explains What's Wrong with the Company
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 05:24:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Why big company life didn't cut it [Leaving Microsoft]

,----[ Quote ]
| So, with that, there were only two things I couldn't get at Microsoft
| (and probably not at any other large corporation) that helped lead to
| my decision to leave:
|
| 1. Any semblance of something like a work hard-play hard culture
| 2. The ability to take big risks and reap big rewards
`----

http://adamjh.blogspot.com/2007/06/why-big-company-life-didnt-cut-it.html

He's not alone. See more experiences below.

Not much more optimism from an anonymous (and famous) Microsoft employee:

http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2007/07/whether-life-here-or-life-there-life-is.html

Related:

Ouch: Goodbye Microsoft; Hello, Google

,----[ Quote ]
| Google continues to poach from Microsoft -- that's not really news.
| But it's relatively rare to see Microsoft employees using their
| Microsoft-sponsored TechNet blog space to diss Microsoft on the way
| out the door.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=380

When did I become such a tool?

,----[ Quote ]
| Six years ago I began working for Microsoft.
|
| The ways I thought about my time changed. How I thought about my
| career changed. How I thought about my place in the world changed.
|
| [...]
|
| Moving my family computer from Windows XP to some form of Linux. A
| symbolic gesture more than anything - but one that will force me to do
| those things I so sorely miss.
`----

http://makingtheswitch.wordpress.com/2007/04/28/when-did-i-become-such-a-tool/

Former Microsoft Insider Speaks Out

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet Explorer was an attempt to counter a "threat" against the
| Windows platform.  During the interview, he talked about the attack
| on Netscape.  He said, "Steve Ballmer was hammering on BillG about
| how the Internet could make Windows irrelevant. BillG wasn't getting
| it; he was focused on the Windows apps.  Then, BillG woke up and saw
| Java running on Netscape, which, of course, ran on many platforms,
| including our arch-enemy at that time, OS/2."  It started out as an
| HTML rendering application, but Internet Explorer grew larger with
| OLE 2.0, which became a great security concern as this former
| insider, along with other developers, had plenty of experience
| fighting viruses, and they saw it as another opening for virus
| writers, especially since for all intents and purposes from
| Windows 95 on, Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer were one
| and the same.
|
| During the later part of the 1990's, Sum Yung Gai left Microsoft
| to finish his degree.  When asked how they felt about his departure,
| he said, "I went back to finish my college education, and none of us
| ever suspected I'd get into this GNU thing or Free Software.
`----

http://www.thenixedreport.com/articles/tholbrook2/exmicrosofty.html

Microsoft Memories

,----[ Quote ]
| At some point in your presentation billg will say "that's the dumbest
| fucking idea I've heard since I've been at Microsoft."  He looks like
| he means it.  However, since you knew he was going to say this, you
| can't really let it faze you.  Moreover, you can't afford to look
| fazed; remember: he's a bully.
`----

http://blog.tomevslin.com/2007/05/microsoft_memor.html

Maybe it's just a language culture in the board...

,----[ Quote ]
| At that point, Mr. Ballmer picked up a chair and threw it across the
| room hitting a table in his office. Mr. Ballmer then said: "Fucking Eric
| Schmidt is a fucking pussy. I'm going to fucking bury that guy, I have
| done it before, and I will do it again. I'm going to fucking kill Google."
`----

http://battellemedia.com/archives/001835.php

Niall Sez Microsoft is Too Big and Paralyzed

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://tinyurl.com/kdzmk