Re: If Linux came before Windows...

____/ ed on Sunday 08 July 2007 12:34 : \____

> On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 08:01:38 -0000
> Why Tea <ytlim1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 7, 9:14 pm, John Locke <johnlocke98...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > OS/2 came out about same time as Windows and it was a far superior
>> > operating system. With advent of Windows 3.0 and the breakup of
>> > Microsoft and IBM in 1990, OS/2 fell behind and Windows sky rocketed
>> > to the desktops.
>> >
>> > If there were a desktop Linux then, it probably would have suffered
>> > the same fate. Its called marketing (some would say propaganda).
>> > No other corporation in history has ever matched Microsoft in
>> > retailing power. Windows was a crummy product, but it was the
>> > grease for the Microsoft sales engine.
>>
>> Yes, many people (engineers, designers especially) have no idea of
>> such a thing called MARKETING. A product doesn't become a product
>> until you market it. Many good ideas came out of PARC but never became
>> products.
>>
>> Everyone wants to cut down a tool poppy. Bill Gates is the tallest of
>> all, so it's not hard to see why. Someone once said, you have to be
>> good to be lucky. Gates must be doing something right to bring Windows
>> to where it is today. While we don't agree with many things MS has
>> done, we should still give credit when credit is due.
>>
>> Linux is at an advantageous position to compete with Windows to be the
>> number one choice of desktop OS. For a start, Linux is free! Secondly,
>> there is a target to shoot at. Why hasn't Linux done better?

Linux /has/ done better. How do you measure success? Just numbers? With that
approach in mind, a Mini is better than a Bentley.

> Because GNU/Linux is constantly fighting FUD. Look at this newsgroup
> for a start, everyone here is basically fighting in one direction or
> another, it's just a constant waste of the GNU/Linux programmers time.

Don't worry. The Linux kernel has got more activity than ever before. Those who
program don't bother with false accusations. There's evidence all around us
that the time of Linux and its variants on most desktops (it's already deep in
servers and devices) is just a matter of time. Microsoft knows this. Why else
would it attack so aggressively and hurt its image in the process?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #00ff00 Day - Basket Case
Tasks: 138 total,   1 running, 137 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie