[News] GPLv3 is Good for Business, OOXML is Bad for Everyone

  • Subject: [News] GPLv3 is Good for Business, OOXML is Bad for Everyone
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 15:13:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Viral Clause [in GPL]

,----[ Quote ]
| Paradoxically, the viral clause, the part of the GPL licensing framework
| that so many people objected to because it wasn't business friendly, made
| the license business friendly - in the future, a license that liberates
| business from the drug of DRM and the prison of software patents may
| turn out to have been equally prescient and business friendly...
`----

http://www.tuxdeluxe.org/node/246

That Which Survives [the Microsoft Lockin and DRM]

,----[ Quote ]
| Joking aside, proprietary record formats will increase the difficulty of
| preserving our culture, on top of the problems with obsolete hardware
| interfaces and the decay of storage media we think of as permanent. File data
| formats that are not published standards are just asking for trouble for long
| term data storage. Much though I prefer the OpenOffice “Open Document Format”
| (ODF) data format for documents, the Microsoft “OfficeOpen XML” (OO-XML)
| format is also a documented format (although without any other
| implementations as yet) so it shouldn't cause problems for long term storage.
| However, most of the world's documents in both governments and corporations
| are still in undocumented proprietary formats, and it sometimes ends up that
| the documents that people don't think are worth preserving are the ones
| historians are most excited to find.
`----

http://www.tuxdeluxe.org/node/244

Headsup: another patent troll on the loose...

OPTi Initiates Patent Infringement Lawsuit Against Eight Companies

,----[ Quote ]
| The lawsuit against these companies is a continuing part of Opti's strategy
| for pursuing its patent infringement claims relating to its Compact
| ISA-Bus technology says Opti.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/embedded/10558/opti-initiates-patent-infringement-lawsuit-against-eight-companies

That's what Microsoft could become (or become a victim of) in the future.