[News] [Rival] Once Again, Microsoft Kills Backward Compatibility

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Once Again, Microsoft Kills Backward Compatibility
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 06:21:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Longhorn Ties Platform Apps to Core Operating System

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps more than anything else, the salient feature of Longhorn is that
| the industry’s move to 64 bits allows Microsoft to overhaul its systems
| software sans the historical restriction of full legacy support.
|
| “There are certain features that we’re able to do in Longhorn that
| are difficult to do in backward-compatible operating systems,” John
| Shewchuk, Microsoft architect for Longhorn’s Indigo Web services
| component, told me in a telephone conversation.
`----

http://www.acmqueue.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=207&page=2

It has already been said that Longhorn (Server 2008) will have _all_ the same
problems as Vista, including compatibility. The "Get the Facts" ads might not
be enough to stop mass migration to Linux.

Related:

How will Windows Server 2008 fare on the compatibility front?

,----[ Quote ]
| The server team is aware of the potential pain points. Windows Server
| 2008 applications that directly touch the kernel, such as security
| products, backup tools and the like, are the ones most likely to
| encounter potential compatibility issues, they acknowledge.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=499

The Pointless Office Converter Delay

,----[ Quote ]