Re: [News] Microsoft Getting Desparate to Make Linux Expernsive (It Fails)

____/ 7 on Thursday 05 July 2007 19:24 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> MS: We'll only interoperate if you sign a patent deal. Red Hat: No.
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | In other words, in my translation, Microsoft is refusing to interoperate
>
> Users should be encouraged to use converters to convert their media
> content to non-proprietory formats that play extremely well under Linux.
> That way, in 5 years when they start playing their old vidoes, photos
> and music, it still works. They can also transfer it to other Linux
> devices like players without recurring problems that proprietory
> plagues users with.
> When users regularly convert ALL their data to Linux and open source
> formats on a regular basis, they can begin to refuse micoshaft
> and proprietory media and content and extend their collection
> as opposed to have islands that won't interoperate.
> That way, their interopability problems are gone.
> Same with software developers. Use open source and all your
> software interoperates with everything else at the source code level.
> Use proprietory or a mix, then your applications, project and interop
> are all dead. Potential for deal breaker when discussing anything
> with investors if your software has to rely on other proprietory stuff
> that you have no control over.

Jonathan Schwartz had an intersting post that talks about it. When people start
losing not only their music collection but also their family photos (rest
assured Microsoft will add some 'protection management' to HD, which is their
JPEG rival), there will be an outrage. At the moment, the British Library
whines about digital document preservation (see the BBC), but what happens
when Microsoft-controlled image formats are thrown into the equation as well.
And then you have ECMA doing its shilling/servitude for Microsoft with XPS,
amomg many other ugly things to come. Proprietary video codecs are another
nasty thing. Anyway...

<snip/>

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Real E-mail -> Harvest -> Fraud -> Spammers profit
Swap:  1510068k total,   664716k used,   845352k free,    57980k cached