Re: [News] Microsoft and Ilk Gag Blogger that Protests Against Linux FUD

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:27:19 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> "Show us the Code" campaign silenced
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The following day at the place of my employment though was an odd one.
>| My manager called me into a closed door meeting between myself and him.
>| His managers and in fact the CIO of the company I was employed at had it
>| brought to their attention that I had an “anti-microsoft” site. It was
>| also brought to my attention the Fortune 1000 company I worked for was
>| a direct partner with Microsoft.
> `----
>
> http://showusthecode.wordpress.com/2007/07/02/what-happened-to-show-us-the-code/
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40729
>
> So they tried to gag PJ, along with SCO. Now they go for the small guy. Luckily
> I have a supportive environment.

Gee, I notice you left the last bit off that paragraph.

"My manager was made to be under the impression that I was representing
this company in my efforts to call a bluff on threatened litigation and
that I, as an employee, did not have the right to use my place of
employment as an endorsement of this cause."

Also:

"Now the question comes in, how did my place of employment find out? Twice,
for a brief 10 minute period I used a work machine to upload some files i
had on a USB key to the site via FTP. Hardly enough to draw attention in a
computer network littered with thousands upon thousands of computers.
Either this small amount of activity in their network caught someone’s eye
and they brought it to the attention of the highest level for my department
or a certain editor fought the good fight for microsoft and did his
homework and brought it to their attention himself.  Or maybe Microsoft
themselves contact my employer.

I’m not making any accusations. My company didn’t “silence” me, i made the
choice to shut up to not ruffle feathers at my place of employment. I have
no proof that they caught me doing personal stuff at work or if Mr Dan
Lyons behaved like a shill, or if MS contacted them directly."

So, in other words, no.  He doesn't know what happened, and he suspects
that his own company noticed his efforts.