Re: [News] No Patent Nonsense Needed for Interoperability, Shows Red Hat

____/ John Locke on Wednesday 04 July 2007 06:42 : \____

> On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 02:16:48 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>____/ Roy Schestowitz on Wednesday 04 July 2007 01:25 : \____
>>
>>> Red Hat, Microsoft talk Tux
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7070284756.html
>>>
>>> This is not new. Red Hat wanted interoperability, but never any of that
>>> other poison that Novell and others got /paid/ to accept.
>>
>>I've just realised that Red Hat, unlike Linspire and Xandros which get locked
>>out of GPLv3-licnsed code, understands what it happening. The FSF has just
>>prevented Linux companies from making patent deals and making it alive in the
>>Linux world. Novell get a relief from an exemption because the deal predates
>>March 28th (grandfather clause).
>>
>>Subject line should be "Nonsense is" (wrote this in a hurry, as usual).
> Just hope everything works out well for Red Hat. They seem to be a
> sensible company.
>
> I still find the patent infringement claims for Microsoft very
> disturbing...or should I say disgusting.

Don't pity them. Some of them no longer believe that when you work for
Microsoft, you've got work for life. Outsourcing aside, the company only makes
money from its bread and butter (Windows and Office).

As the face of computing changes (to client+services), Microsoft discovers that
the talent has left and it's just a giant company (=expenses) without new
products (image hurts adoption of their attempts, as well). It tries to
squeeze the last ounce out of the cash cows, just like Novell and NetWare 5-10
years ago. Novell and Microsoft make a great couple... Two vain and greedy
companies that perish together in the face of Google/Web 2.0 with Red Hat
servers and affordable thin clients or light (yet stable) handheld devices.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired
Swap:  1510068k total,   692512k used,   817556k free,    50020k cached