[News] Wintel Betrayed Linux; Motorola 'Fakes' Open Source

  • Subject: [News] Wintel Betrayed Linux; Motorola 'Fakes' Open Source
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 06:11:26 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Intel Betrayal (of Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| And lastly, I have a word for Intel.  Tsk, Tsk!!  Shame on you!
| You're more worried about your profits than your customers, or their
| system security or anything else for that matter.  You're so paranoid
| about losing customers and market share that you'd rather risk a world
| wide digital catastrophe (or even a real one depending on where the
| chips are being used) than to admit your failings.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=264

Motorola and the FOSS that Wasn't

,----[ Quote ]
| When Motorola decided to write an "open source" Service Availability
| Framework they, perhaps unknowingly, illustrated a disturbing trend in
| the FOSS (free and open source software) world.
`----

http://www.fsdaily.com/Licensing/Motorola_and_the_FOSS_that_Wasnt-1/

Related:

OpenBSD founder: Intel leaves open-source out in the cold

,----[ Quote ]
| He accused Intel of understating the impact of the bugs “very significantly”
| and cautioned OS developers that they will most certainly run into these
| bugs.
|
| [...]
|
| “All of this is just unbelievable to many of us,” he declared.
|
| de Raadt said he cannot recommend the purchase of any machines based on the
| Intel Core 2 until these issues are dealt with.
|
| “Intel must be come more transparent,” he said, noting that rival AMD isn’t
| much better.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=336#7851462737160269475

Intel: Only "Open" for Business

,----[ Quote ]
| These vendors often want a quiet private discussion, because in a
| quiet private discussion they can continue to dismiss the requests and in
| the end do absolutely nothing. They do not want a noisy public
| discussion, because then they look bad. But they DESERVE TO LOOK BAD,
| because they are being bad to those who bought their hardware!
|
| [...]
|
| By withholding, Intel is being an Open Source fraud.
|
| [...]
|
| So let's win back the rights to run the hardware we purchased.
|
| Please feel free to let other open source communities know about this
| matter. Thank you.
`----

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20060930232710&mode=expanded

AMD chief condemns Intel 'abuses'

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, after the Japan Fair Trade Commission found Intel guilty of
| offering illegal rebates to Japanese PC makers, AMD filed an anti-trust
| suit against its competitor in the U.S. District Court in Delaware. The
| case has not been decided.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/21/amd_ceo_condemns_intel_abuses/

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

One Laptop Per Child - Production Delays Caused By Microsoft, Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
| I sincerely hope that no matter what the people who are running the
| OLPC project decide, that their project will continue and not get
| bogged down in a play of corporate greed and ambitions.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/28/one-laptop-per-child-production-delays-caused-by-microsoft-intel/

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Video: Henri Richard comes out swinging at Intel during AMD press conference

,----[ Quote ]
| [AMD's Henri Richard:] "I am sick and tired of being pushed around
| by a competitor that doesn't respect the rules of fair and open
| competition."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=363

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Lenovo got financial help from Intel, claim

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/china_intel_settlement.html?.v=7

,----[ Quote ]
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/