Re: [News] Novell Adds Linux Desklets with Patents-encumbered .NET

"jim" <jim@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> "Hadron Quark" <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> Different things. Mono extends Linux into the distributed world.
>
> Exactly.  While they may make Linux gurus and white fleshed server room
> hostages quiver with delight, it does absolutely NOTHING to help Linux gain
> ground on the desktop.

This is certainly not true at all.

Many desktop apps can benefit from distributed apps.

>>> Mono is great for backend grunt work.  But, I have yet to see one "must
>>> have" desktop application written in Mono.  And, this isn't likely to
>>> happen
>>> anytime soon.
>>
>> Same as you wont see many desktop apps using CORBA.
>
> This is Linux Advocacy.  A langauge that supports the desktop is more
> advantageous for Linux than the very best server room technology in the
> world.  People adopt desktops, not server rooms.

You won't be popular here ....

>>> REALbasic has more potential to add more coders and users to the Linux
>>> base
>>> than Mono.  REALbasic can currently compile code for Mac, Linux and
>>> Windows
>>> from the same source code.  REALbasic sompiles to a single EXE with no
>>> required runtimes, making for smaller application footprints and making
>>> installation a breeze.
>>
>> REALbasic is a language, but lacking "there and now" features. There are
>> already heaps. Java, perl, tcl, c, c++ etc etc.
>
> REALbasic is easier to learn and use than any of those alternatives.
> Therefore, it mostly resembles VB in the ability to gain OS converts for
> Linux the way VB did for Windows.

Languages don't gain converts. Applications do.

There are already enough "common" languages for most app types.

>>> REALbasic has a long way to go before it is right for a lot of the lower
>>> level coding required by backend servers.  And, REALbasic needs more
>>> components coded for it.  It is by no means a perfect solution.  However,
>>> it
>>> is a better solution than Mono when considering the growth potential (in
>>> applications and desktop adoption) that it brings to Linux.
>>
>> But it isn't aiming at what Mono is.
>
> Right.  It is aiming at the hobbyist to mid-level coders.  The people that
> are most likely to develop apps that make the OS popular and a hit on the
> desktop.

I don't really see that REAL Basic is good enough or needed.

>>> REALbasic for Linux (doesn't compile for Mac and Windows) is free.  The
>>> full
>>> version that compiles for all 3 OSs is around $600.
>>
>> It would be better if it was cross platform ....
>
> Like Java?  That went over well.  Look at all of the must have applications
> for the desktop that Java produced.

I agree - but not every else does.

>>> I see REALbasic as a way to spread Linux.  Whereas Mono seems, to me, to
>>> be
>>> a self-imposed limit on Linux to stay x steps behind Microsoft's C#.
>>
>> No. it's there to provide an easy to use cross platform distributed
>> environment amongst other things.
>
> It's there (by Microsoft's design) to hold Linux back and off of the Windows
> desktop.

I don't see how you come to that conclusion.

Linux could always have developed its own.