Re: Vista NOT More Secure Than Linux

____/ [H]omer on Sunday 01 July 2007 13:25 : \____

http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2007/06/web-server-software-and-malware.html

> So ... IIS has one third the market share, but hosts twice the Malware.

To be padantic, the number was identical IIRC (overall), but the difference in
installed based spoke volumes. So it was something along the lines of "IIS is
twice as likely to host malware". Microsoft and its ilk chose to blame the
competence of Windows admins. I don't know if it's an excuse or a really
bad 'compliment'.

> Thurrott is just preaching the party line without engaging any
> braincells. The argument that "there's more Malware on Windows is
> because Windows is more ubiquitous" is an urban myth. *nix is just
> inherently more secure, or to be more precise, Windows is inherently
> insecure. Anyone who still doubts that by now is living in a fantasy land.

I think I mentioned this earlier in this particular thread (maybe a separate
one), but Thurrott is a very biased party. One needs to listen to independent
professionals who do not speak for their wallet/employer/affiliates.

Proprietary, lockin-based tools lead to regrets. Doc(umen)tor, heal thyself.
 15:05:01 up 14 days, 20:33,  5 users,  load average: 0.90, 1.37, 1.71