Re: [News] Maximum PC Magazine Likes the GNU Image Manipulation Program

____/ ed on Sunday 01 July 2007 12:28 : \____

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 15:07:13 +0100
>
>> Bring Out the GIMP
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | No matter which Linux distro you run, chances are it came with a
>> magnificent | little image editor called GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation
>> Program). Unlike | Paint and other free-with-your-OS image editors,
>> GIMP is a full featured | graphics app with a broad range of
>> capabilities that rival those os Adobe | Photoshop.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.maximumpc.com/article/bring_out_the_gimp_part_1_gimp_basics
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> Gimp 2.3 (preview of 2.4)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The major change for this release seems to be a big usability
>> | overhaul. New defaults are now in place that make the Gimp look
>> | a little bit like Photoshop, but still has many features that
>> | make it unique.
>> `----
>>
>> http://fosswire.com/2007/06/08/gimp-23-preview-of-24/
>
> to be honest i've never liked the way that photoshop takes over the
> entire screen, especially on a windows platform where screen space is
> in high demand through lack of virtual screens by default (and when
> available fricking slow).
>
> i've often found it hard getting a straight answer from someone who has
> used photoshop for a long time to define why they choose it over gimp.
> unfortunately sometimes it turns out to stem from the name.

Yes, I agree entirely. To many people it's a 'religious' thing, but working
with 15 separate images under a single parent windows isn't quite as good as
being able to drag and drop files from the desktop, repositioning your
toolboxes, putting them in separate screens and virtual desktops, etc.
Photoshop adheres to the very simple workflow and mindset, which probably suit
computer users who do one task at a time. Restore, close, minimise, restore,
reboot, have a coffee break, then log in to E-mail (Hotmail) from the Blue E.
A year ago I used a Windows PC to scan some papers (it was a high definition
scanner) and using that Photoshop-like GUI was a pain that led to some costly
mistakes (has to redo some scanning) and general nuisance.

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Run a Linux server, then learn how to knit
Tasks: 128 total,   1 running, 126 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie