[News] [Rival] Windows Zombies on the Loose, Hijacking of Government Domains

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows Zombies on the Loose, Hijacking of Government Domains
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:04:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Some people already cash in on the fear...

Promisec Stops Threat of BOTNET Attacks Overtaking Corporate PCs

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-promisec-stops-threat-botnet-attacks-overtaking-corporate-pcs-/2007/07/18/2795201.htm

Governments' systems used to power phishing push

,----[ Quote ]
| Lax security controls are allowing conmen to host fraudulent websites on
| servers run by government organisations and private sector firms.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/19/govt_phishing_hosts/

Recent:

Hackers steal government, corporate data

,----[ Quote ]
| A piece of software, NTOS.exe, probes the PC for confidential data, then
| sends it to a Web site hosted on Yahoo. That site's owner is likely unaware
| that it is being used by hackers, Morris said.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6197157.html

Related:

Spam, phishing, spyware pose threats to government cybersecurity

,----[ Quote ]
| Federal agencies are facing emerging cybersecurity threats that
| are the result of increasingly sophisticated methods of attack
| and the blending of once distinct types of attack into more
| complex and damaging forms.
`----

http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/kouri/070429

Cyberattacks at federal agencies draw House scrutiny

,----[ Quote ]
| In the process of analyzing that malicious code, analysts also
| discovered another previously unknown hole in the Windows operating
| system that lacked a security patch.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7348_3-6177783.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

The feds weigh in on Windows security

,----[ Quote ]
| "The benefits of this move are enormous: Common, secure configurations
| can help slow botnet spreading, can radically reduce delays in patching,
| can stop many attacks directly, and organizations that have made the
| move report that it actually saves money rather than costs money,"
| Paller wrote.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6172158.html

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
|                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
|                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| the BBC reports.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

FBI to Notify Microsoft Windows Users Who Were Victims of Botnets

,----[ Quote ]
| The Department of Justice and FBI have announced the results of
| an ongoing cyber crime initiative to disrupt and dismantle
| “botherders” and elevate the public’s cyber security
| awareness of botnets.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/10550/fbi-notify-microsoft-windows-users-who-were-victims-botnets

New Trojan Makes Microsoft Windows Talk While Wiping out the Hard Drive

,----[ Quote ]
| This new malicious code detected by PandaLabs last week uses the Windows
| text reader to play the following sentences:
|
| "You have been infected I repeat you have been infected and your system
| files have been deleted. Sorry. Have a nice day and bye bye."
|
| These comments are repeated over and over again while the Trojan
| tries to delete the entire content of the computer's hard disk.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/10559/new-trojan-makes-microsoft-windows-talk-while-wiping-out-hard-drive

FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

,----[ Quote ]
| Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
| hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
| deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
| Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
| computers pass their shelf life.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800480

Homeland Security sees cyberthreats on the rise

,----[ Quote ]
| To test the nation's response to a cyberattack, the Department
| of Homeland Security plans to hold another major exercise,
| called Cyberstorm II, in March 2008, Garcia said. A first
| such exercise happened early last year.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-6157809.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/2dpbmv

Perspective:  Microsoft security--no more second chances?

,----[ Excerpt ]
| CNET News.com's Charles Cooper says the software maker is running out
| of excuses for a history of poor security.

| As if Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff didn't have enough on
| his plate.
|
| Not only has he had to deal with Katrina and Osama. Now he's also got to
| whip Steve Ballmer and the crew at Microsoft into shape. If past is
| prologue, that last task may be the most daunting of all.
`----

http://news.com.com/2010-1002_3-6104512.html?part=rss&tag=6104512&subj=news

U.S. cyber counterattack: Bomb 'em one way or the other

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/020807-rsa-cyber-attacks.html