[News] Free Software Foundation Fights Against Paper Spying

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Foundation Fights Against Paper Spying
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:20:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Seeing yellow over color printer tracking devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet the evidence from the Electronic Frontier Foundation is that the
| encodings are embedded in color printers from all major manufacturers.
| Moreover, the issues raised by the practice have caused Free Software
| Foundation director Benjamin Mako Hill and other members of the Computing
| Culture group at the MIT Media Lab to begin the Seeing Yellow campaign to
| stop the practice.
|
| [...]
|
| Whether the campaign will be successful in removing tracking measures from
| color laser printers is still anybody's guess. But for now, the campaign is
| clearly succeeding in its first step by making sure that people know as much
| about the issue as there is to know.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000247

It sounds exactly like all those hidden 'features' that are put in Windows by
the FBI, the NSA, Microsoft's trackers, the police, Hollywood, forensic teams,
and advertisers that want to secretly scan your local files and E-mails.

Related:

Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forget-about-the-WGA-20-Windows-Vista-Features-and-Services-Harvest-User-Data-for-Microsoft-58752.shtml

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista—Microsoft’s latest operating system—may prove to be most
| appropriately named, especially for those seeking evidence of how a
| computer was used.
`----

http://www.abanet.org/journal/ereport/jy13tkjasn.html

Will Microsoft Put The Colonel in the Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]