[News] Linux Becomes a Star in Networking and Mobiles

  • Subject: [News] Linux Becomes a Star in Networking and Mobiles
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:28:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Will Enterprise Open Source Scale the Walled Gardens of the Cellular Network
Providers?

,----[ Quote ]
| Lately, I've been researching the feasibility of running Linux on any of the
| several excellent smartphone platforms out there. There's the long running
| Treos 650/680/700 that have a lot of units in service and surprisingly
| consistent internal technology with which to focus an open OS development
| team on. Developer interest in the platform seems to be growing (link to
| shadowmite and hack'n dev).
|
| [...]
|
| All of this is a leap in level of service and an order of magnitude drop in
| cost. Are the cellular providers going to like it? No. Can they stop it? Yes.
| They can lock their phones from being taken over by the open source
| community. Will they succeed? I don't know but the question is "what doesn't
| run Linux these days?"
`----

http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/400928_p.htm

Related:

70 percent of smartphones use Symbian

,----[ Quote ]
| At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian.
|
| Linux accounts for 16.9 percent of the smartphone market and only
| 4.6 percent uses Microsoft Windows Mobile.
`----

http://www.dvhardware.net/article17134.html

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/linux-to-take-over-smartphone-os-market-by-2010/