[News] OpenSolaris Community Loses Faith in Sun's Plan for Linux Clone?

  • Subject: [News] OpenSolaris Community Loses Faith in Sun's Plan for Linux Clone?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:05:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OpenSolaris users group to Ian Murdock, Sun: You’re missing the point

,----[ Quote ]
| Coincidence or not, Ratcliffe (voluntarily) left Sun shortly after he spoke
| with SearchEnterpriseLinux.com for the article. Ian Murdock joined the ranks
| soon after in a newly created — albeit slightly mysterious — role.
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/07/18/opensolaris-users-group-to-ian-murdock-sun-youre-missing-the-point/

Related:

Project Proposal - (what is/was Indiana)

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the project proposal that should have been out a long while back
| (apologies, I'm happy to take the blame on this one). Before anyone gets
| too caught up in how little the proposal actually covers, I intend to
| follow up with my thoughts if and when the project alias gets created - I'd
| like that discussion to be far more focused than opensolaris-discuss has
| been.
`----

https://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=31802&tstart=0

OpenSolaris fans in a tizzy over 'Project Copy Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems has moved one mailing list posting closer to explaining
| how it plans to mimic the Linux distribution model with OpenSolaris.
|
| [...]
|
| The Solaris vendor spent the early part of this century mocking Linux.
| Next, it forced then CEO Scott McNealy to don a penguin suit and waddle
| around in front of analysts, extolling the virtues of Sun's own flavor
| of Linux. Then, Sun scrapped its own Linux in favor of selling Red Hat,
| while also mocking Red Hat.
|
| Now we find Sun trying to imitate part of the development model pushed
| by Canonical and Red Hat. Even though Sun likes to hold tight control
| over the Solaris proper releases, you can imagine the vendor picking
| up valuable bits and pieces created by the OpenSolaris developer
| community, just like the Linux vendors do with the work produced by
| their developer armies.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/31/sun_project_indiana/

"Save a Penguin, Unplug a Linux Server" May Win Most-Flamable E-Mail Award

,----[ Quote ]
| I just got an e-mail from Sun which is probably the largest violation
| of L. Ron Hubbard's Survey tech that I've ever seen. It was an e-mail
| with the title of, "Save a Penguin - Unplug a Linux Server Today".
`----

http://jetteroheller.wordpress.com/2007/05/03/save-a-penguin-unplug-a-linux-server-may-win-most-flamable-e-mail-award/

Solaris can never be Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Things haven't changed much at Sun. When Sun launched its
| OpenSolaris project in 2005 it used the Common Development and
| Distribution Licence - which is incompatible withb the GPL - and
| some system code was not released.

I tried to dirty my hands on OpenSolaris Belenix 0.6

,----[ Quote ]
| This reminds me of my initial days with Linux - about 8-10 years ago -
| when we were forced to configure each and every aspect of Linux
| configuration to simply work out things. Today, most Linux distribution
| do not require any advanced tweaking during their initial installation
| - most things work out-of-the-box and distributions like Xandros have
| simple, 4 click install options.
|
| It looks like OpenSolaris needs to travel a real long way, and journey
| has just begun.
`----

http://raviratlami1.blogspot.com/2007/05/i-tried-to-dirty-my-hands-on.html

Checking out Nexenta GNU/OpenSolaris