Re: [News] Microsoft Betrays Linspire (Already!)

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 18 July 2007 09:19 : \____

>> Microsoft Strikes GPLv3 Software From Linspire Patent Deal
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Microsoft says software that's licensed under a new version of a popular
>>| open source license isn't covered by the patent protection deal it recently
>>| signed with desktop Linux distributor Linspire.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201001836
>>
>> Microsoft has already betrayed Novell. It happened a fortnight ago.
>
> Haha!  Hardly surprising, this.
>
> In case anyone hasn't realised, this has become Microsoft's anti-GPLv3
> campaign, ably assisted by various open-source luminaries, naturally.
>
> Microsoft's intent is that customer pressure will somehow force
> Linspire, Novell and others to avoid GPLv3, who will then somehow push
> back on the GPLv3 projects through forking or pressure to get them back
> onto GPLv2.

Terrific way of putting it. I haven't quite thought about it this way before
and I hope you won't mind me borrowing it.

> It won't work, because they're trying to push a pyramid from the point,
> but it's an interesting attempt.

Microsoft is used to being at the top of a pyramid (or pyramid scheme). But the
masses of developers (or DEVELOP~1 DEVELOP~1 DEVELOP~1 DEVELOP~1) are at the
bottom and they are the /foundation/ of software?. What did Evans Data tell us
very recently? Windows developers abandon the Windows platform and move to
Linux. Can you blame them?

Roy S. Schestowitz      | $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
Tasks: 142 total,   2 running, 140 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie