[News] [Rival] Microsoft Feeds People Cabbage (Windows Vista)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Feeds People Cabbage (Windows Vista)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:11:32 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
XP for eXcluded People?

,----[ Quote ]
| Looking around, it seems as if there are two facts working against me: OEMs
| have assumed (or have been heavily encouraged to assume) that Santa Rosa
| equals Vista, and that plenty of people who don't want to or can't move to
| Vista have found that XP is not on the menu.
|
| This is what happens when you try to synchronise a major platform change with
| commercially-mandated operating system changes - and how badly Microsoft's
| commercial model is out of sync with the needs of reality.
|
| (At one stage in proceedings, I ran one of my preferred Linux live CD disk
| utilities, just to see what was going on. Needless to say, It Just Ran - gave
| me enhanced graphics, networking, hard disk, the lot. I nearly wept.)
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10005661o-2000331777b,00.htm

Related:

Dell warns of Vista upgrade challenges

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell has taken the unusual step--for a PC vendor of its size--of
| toning down its sales pitch for Microsoft's Vista operating system
| and warning businesses of the migration challenges that lie ahead
| for them.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62027712,00.htm

Dell casts doubts on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
| some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
| Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
| choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
| Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
| larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
| an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
`----

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/19/dell.casts.doubts.on.vista/

Dell offers discount on Linux PCs

,----[ Quote ]