Re: [News] [Rival] 11.6 Million XBox360s are Defective

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>> ____/ John Bailo on Saturday 14 July 2007 17:15 : \____

>>> Meanwhile, I think it's cool that the much underpraised PS3 sales
>>> are finally going hog wild.   By XMas I expect the PS3 to dominate.
>>
>> They recently said (someone from Sony, in Bloomberg, I think) that
>> they would lower the price by Christmas.
>
> However, this is at the cost of losing the "Emotion Engine" legacy
> emulation hardware, although that was never shipped in PAL machines
> anyway, much to European PS3 customer's chagrin.
>
> It may well be that the software (firmware) solution is more flexible
> though. Did the Emotion Engine provide 100% guaranteed backwards
> compatibility?
>
> Frankly, with *real* PS2s going for as low as 20 quid on eBay, I don't
> see this as a massive problem.

It's not that great an issue anyway - my No2 son's PS3 plays all but one
of his original PS2 games, which he's quite happy with.  There was some
kind of download that he had to do, but between him and Mrs Mark they
managed it with no problems.

I'm still convinced that the PS3 is going to be a hugely important
device.