[News] Linux Wi-Fi Support is Excellent, Despite the Shill's "Big Lie"

  • Subject: [News] Linux Wi-Fi Support is Excellent, Despite the Shill's "Big Lie"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 06:23:19 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
So, Vista is said to have driver issues. On the other hand, see what a group of
just a few people is able to achieve:

Pardus [Linux] 2007.2 - Unrivalled Wlan Support.

,----[ Quote ]
| I  managed  to get  these  5 wifi cards  connected  to my  Linksys router
| via  the  WPA-PSK encryption protocol out-of-the-box  with the help of the
| network manager. The connectivity was  excellent.  Despite  still  using  the
| softmac stack  instead of  the  devicescape  stack, Pardus Kurulan  2007.2
| (installation CD)  managed to conquer  all of these  notebook-based wlan
| cards.
`----

http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/152/1/

The WinTrolls try to tell us that Linux cannot do WiFi. The matter of fact is
that Linus users needn't even visit Web sites and use CDs with drivers in most
cases (see links at the bottom).

Maybe Microsoft should let out the dogs (Alex Wolfe and the DisinformationWeek
Gang). Last week they told us that Ubuntu does not work on laptops. They now
attempt to start a 'civil war'...

InformationWeek.com falsifies Linus Torvalds quote

,----[ Quote ]
| It doesn't surprise me that Information Week would be sloppy, irresponsible,
| and have an axe to grind against Free Software. It is shocking that they
| would deliberately do this. I think it is nice and restrained of Free
| Software Magazine to call I.W.'s article "misleading", but to me it looks
| like what Information Week did was tell a BIG FAT LIE, with the intention of
| breeding FUD in the Linux community, and then getting Slashdot to run it.
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=informationweek_com_falsifies_linus_torv&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

See:

,----[ Quote ]
| Working behind the scenes to orchestrate “independent” praise of our
| [Microsoft] technology is a key evangelism function. “Independent” analysts’
| reports should be issued, praising your technology and damning the
| competitors (or ignoring them). “Independent consultants should write
| articles, give conference presentations, moderate stacked panels on our
| behalf, and set themselves up as experts in the new technology, available for
| just $200/hour. “Independent” academic sources should be cultivated and
| quoted (and granted research money).
`----

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03096.pdf

Related:

Better Wi-Fi on the Linux Horizon

,----[ Quote ]
| Wireless networking on Linux is entering a new era. An era of bliss
| and ease; where users and network administrators have abundant time
| for relaxing lie-abouts on sunny warm hills because their wireless
| systems are humming along contentedly, instead of being vexing
| and unreliable.
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/nethub/article.php/3672491

Belkin's WiFi hub unhooks your USB

,----[ Quote ]
| It may look like Belkin's Darth Vader answer to the Apple TV, but
| this unassuming slab is in fact a WiFi-enabled USB hub.  In effect
| a tiny system running embedded Linux, it has five USB 2.0 ports
| that communicate with any PC on a network via 802.11n - devices
| plugged in show up as if they?re connected directly to the PC itself.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/belkins-wifi-hub-unhooks-your-usb-164802.php

Ubuntu and wireless - now better than Windows!

,----[ Quote ]
| For years, Linux has had a reputation of being notoriously bad for
| wireless access, whether through access points, ad-hoc, whatever.
| But the new KWirelessNetwork applet thats included in the new
| Kubuntu beta is just incredible.
`----

http://evolvedlight.co.uk/?p=20

Linux powers $50 wireless mesh router

,----[ Quote ]
| Meraki was founded by CEO Sanjit Biswas, and is based in Mountain
| View, Calif. In February, it closed a $5 million funding round led
| by Google and Sequoia Capital.

BT's Home Hub runs on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| BT's wireless broadband router Home Hub may be in breach of the
| terms of Linux's General Public License, after it emerged the
| device runs on open source code.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/22/bt_breaking_gpl/

Beef Up Your Wireless Router