Re: Bots Helped To Boost Microsoft Live Search Gains

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Sunday 15 July 2007 19:07 : \____

> "The reason their search engine is being hit so frequently is that
> people are running automated 'bot' programs to play the Live Search
> games for them," said Live Search Club user Jack Krause in an e-mail.

I made sure it was put on News Picks because it resembles something that hurts
Linux as well. I published the following last week.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3687616_2

"The last factor to consider here are the botnets (zombie PCs) that travel the
World Wide Web. It's a relentless Web journey and this happens without the
awareness of the rightful owner of the computer. This troublesome phenomenon
means that large levels of Web traffic is devoured in a very wasteful fashion.
It does not accurately reflect human consumption of information. Botnets act
to 'pollute' log data and therefore tweak statistics. It rarely (if ever)
works in favor of secure operating systems and Web browsers."

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Ballmer O/S - so furious it may crash
Swap:  1510068k total,    76268k used,  1433800k free,   141760k cached