Re: Big Vista may be watching You

Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> If you alter a file, I imagine it has to copy the whole lot.
>
> Why would you imagine that?

Because Ed is clueless on anything to do with programming or Operating
Systems. He makes it up as he goes along.

>> This is such a stupid move. The harddisk is the bottle neck on most

Yes. If they did that. At the worst case they might have a delta file or
periodic copies.

>> computers. In many cases 1gib network cards can push data faster than
>> the disks, why would anyone want to make things slower? It really
>> shouldn't be part of the install.

They don't want to make anything slower. Why would they *want* to make
things slower. Oh. Hang on. You're making things up as you go along. I
forgot.

>> Imagine, something like a BDB file having to be replaced hundreds of
>> times when records are updated, supposing with something like a
>> timestamp column. When a transaction is closed then the file has to be
>> copied.

Imagine a red hot poker thrust vigorously up your left nostril and then
doused with sulphuric acid. Equally unlikely to happen, but since we're
playing "lets make things up" it seems equally a apt.

>> What about the registry also? Wouldn't this have to be copied time and
>> time again as it's being updated? Jesus, it's so stupid to do this by
>> default. I don't mind the idea of shadow copies, in some cases it
>> might

Yes....

>> be useful, on something like /var/www or /var/log, /etc and /home, but
>> for a registry, and /usr that's just stupid.

What *are* you talking about?

> It's not slow on other systems that do similar things (Linux with LVM2,
> OS X Leopard with Time Machine), so why do you assume that it must be
> slow on Windows?

Because he's making it up as he goes along.

But just for completeness:

,----
| Shadow copy is automatically turned on in Windows Vista and creates
| copies on a scheduled basis of files that have changed. Since only
| incremental changes are saved, minimal disk space is used for shadow
| copies.
`----

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/shadowcopy.mspx

Ho hum.