Re: [News] Innovative Coprocessor for Motherboard, Using Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Hyper-fast coprocessor plugs into Opteron socket
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | This is not a hoax. A Silicon Valley company has started shipping an
> | FPGA-based coprocessor designed to plug right into an open "socket 940"
> | location on a standard multiprocessor AMD Opteron motherboard running
> | Linux.
> `----

Sounds cool... but what it fails to explain the practical value to an
everyday Joe that this would be... Also, at $20,000 per copy I don't think
I'll be needing one very soon...

The one thing I would like, however, is a similar type of hardware as above,
but loaded with an upgradeable Java Virtual Machine... I thing having a
java coprocessor would be a useful thing. Atleast to me, that is...

Cheers, Roy. Nice post.

--

Jerry McBride