Re: [News] Apple and Microsoft Restrict and Punish, Linux Gives Away

> Microsoft Patents Method for Bringing "Pirated" Music Back onto the Reservation
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| I hear Motorola -- having been somewhat burned by Apple releasing its own
>| phone rather than continuing to license iTunes for Motorola's handsets -- is
>| switching their phones over to a Linux operating system.  And the
>| Linux-powered OpenMoko Neo 1973 phone has already been released.  It's
>| possible that users will gravitate towards phones that give them as much
>| freedom as their computers do, but on the other hands, Hollywood and the
>| labels are likely to pounce on technology that would bring offline P2P
>| trading to portables.
> `----
>
> http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/07/microsoft-paten.html

I'm not sure what "offline" p2p trading means here, bluetooth between
devices, perhaps?

For p2p to be viable on next generation handsets, there needs to be wifi
connectivity, otherwise you'd be stuck with the walled gardens of the
mobile operators (net neutrality, anyone?).