Re: [News] Linux Helps People Preserve Local Language and Culture

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 12:49:24 +0100

> Free Software empowers African languages
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | At the Pan African Localisation workshop and Blitz held in Morocco
> in | February 2007, various Africans gathered to discuss
> localisation. As a | practical component of this gathering
> Translate.org.za lead an exercise to | create locales for the various
> languages spoken by participants at the event. |
> | Once again Free and Open Source software demonstrated its power by
> allowing | people to change software to meet their needs, instead of
> hoping that one day | a proprietary vendor might care enough to meet
> their needs. `----
>
> http://www.translate.org.za/blogs/dev/2007/07/free-software-empowers-african-languages/
>
> Microsoft had language issues in South America as well. A bit of
> lobbying by Bill Gates (maybe some promises of 'charity money' for
> governments) changed things (see below). Some were offended (in
> Bolivia or Peru) when Microsoft tried to translate Windows to their
> language, after they had decided to move to Linux.

I totally agree that linux helps preserve culture, most things in the
GNU/Linux stack are open for translation. In fact, I think most gnome
apps have 'help translate this app' as part of the menu by default.

--
The dirt trail to M2 Networx is sending all zeros because of neo taking
the red pill. GST is woofing down a plate of peas.