[News] Video: Linux 'Surface' Has Already Been Here for Years (MPX), Now with 3-D Effects

  • Subject: [News] Video: Linux 'Surface' Has Already Been Here for Years (MPX), Now with 3-D Effects
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:12:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Multi-touch support for MPX [in Linux]

,----[ Quote ]
| MPX already supported multiple input devices. Which blows pretty much all
| assumptions in user interfaces (input) out of the water. Now I've gone one
| step further and added support for multi-touch displays. Have a look at this
| video...
`----

http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/?q=node/86

Watch this one:

Getting Started With Compiz Fusion

,----[ Quote ]
| Some people who are new to Compiz Fusion might like to watch this video to
| get to know the basic commands and to have a better Compiz Fusion experience.
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uNQcD82mhk

Beryl/XML (or Compiz Fusion) can work with multiple devices if the applications
are made to support it. It already runs (and demonstarted) on touchscreens.

Apple and Microsoft are once again left behind when it comes to "Wow" effect
and innovation.

Related:

Microsoft Rips off Researchers at Pompeu Fabra University of Barcelona

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently while on vacation I was flipping channels and came across a
| channel called “current TV”, what caught my eye was a  computer  booting
| to Kubuntu. This computer looked remarkably like Microsoft’s new
| Surface touch table. Funny thing is the reactable has been around
| over three years and research has been going on much longer than that.
`----

http://dthomasdigital.wordpress.com/2007/06/22/microsoft-rips-off-researchers-at-pompeu-fabra-university-of-barcelona/

Microsoft Surface idea not that new?

,----[ Quote ]
| An attached PC, running Linux and Reactrix software, calculates the
| location and movement of an object interrupting the beam and enables
| the system to allow a basic interaction with projected content.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32389/118/

Jeff Han's Research Ripped by Microsoft Surface?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.jorispoort.com/2007/05/jeff-hans-research-ripped-by-microsoft.html