Re: [News] More Exciting Developments Coming to the Linux Kernel

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Kernel space: Progress on ACPI and power management
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Data centers demand cooler-running Linux boxes, and several
> | projects are starting to deliver.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/071107-kernel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

There isn't usually a need for all office positions to go for the high power
PCs.  But there is the problem that the range of CPUs for PCs tends to be
much smaller than it once was, in fact just to make sure I wasn't talking
bollocks I just had a look. The range available in tiny.

For example if you go to Intel's web site they isn't a huge range on there,
the only thing they are interested in pushing are the high speed products.
This is probably so that they can reduce the number of manufacturing
plants.

In your favourite PC suppliers web site, the low end machines are 3G dual
cores.

So in a great many situations where a lesser machine would do, buyers have
no choice but to buy power guzzling machines.

I have mentioned before my use of silent cool Linux computers, the size of a
router, no fan just ambient air cooling. It is a full Linux server. It can
just as well be a Linux client. Windows would go onto this instead for
those into that sort of thing. It wouldn't be a great computer for most
home users, but it is more than powerfull enough for most office
situations.

There are a lot of examples of these mini PCs around now. All that you need
to take into account is that you do not want to add hot components. So
probably a 120G SATA would be the top limit, but in an office it is much
more likely the data is on the servers, so a very small drive is all that
is really needed. I suppose you could take this further to a no drive
system by booting from the server too.

Thinks: I know we could do Linux that way, no local drive, I wonder if
windows could be ran that way? I don't think I have ever heard of it being
done except that booting DOS from my Novel servers many years ago was
pretty much the normal thing to do.