Re: [News] Moving to Linux Through Applications, Contributing Back

Oldtech wrote:

> BearItAll wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Migrating to Linux? Use These Open Source Apps
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.intranetjournal.com/articles/200707/ij_07_10_07a.html
>>>

>> Easy peasey.
>>
>> On your file server run a script that picks out all unique file
>> extensions, ignore extensions that are executables and things like tmp,
>> run it through the entire /home and other volumes you have user data on.
>>
>> You end up with the list
>>
>> doc
>> xls
>> dwg
>> pdf
>> jpg
>> .... and others.
>>
>> It isn't in the end a particularly long list.
>>
>> Now take that as your first column in a spreadsheet made up like this.
>>
>> Extension....Windows Prog....Linux Prog
>> doc..........Word............OpenOffice
>> xls..........Excel...........OpenOffice
>>
>> and carry on down the list of extensions.
>>
>> You can fill in each one with alternetives, some might need the
>> commercial version to do the job properly, we aren't talking of bank
>> breaking stuff here.
>>
>> But of cause that doesn't give you a definitive list for special
>> applications, such as wages and accounts. So for these you do have to do
>> a search and maybe some trials to make sure what you want is properly
>> covered.
>>
>> There is no problem in you keeping some Windows applications on Windows
>> machines if you really can not make use of the Linux equivelant for a
>> particular job role.
>>

> Remember, GNUcash.
>
> Then, too, Turbocash was ported over, announcement recently here, AFAIR
> the notice was posted here by Roy.

Yes they are some around. Much of the problem with pay packages is that the
pay rules are local so it has to be software that will update you with the
local rules.

That generally has been the problem with nonCommercial wage packages, that
after a time the rules are not updated so you have to pick through the data
config files trying to adjust them yourself.

But still they have been many wages packages for UNIX and many of these are
available for Linux, they are commecial which is what you want in this
case, it is just a matter of deciding which one is best for your company.