[News] Review of XFCE Desktop Shows Strengths and Shortcomings

  • Subject: [News] Review of XFCE Desktop Shows Strengths and Shortcomings
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 03:38:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Desktops and Windows Managers - Part 2 - XFCE

,----[ Quote ]
| Other than those few shortcomings, or things of note, XFCE is a good desktop
| environment that, while a bit quirky in the way it does things, is still
| quite a good choice for anyone wanting a light weight desktop to meet their
| needs. If you'd like to try out this desktop environment and see what you
| think, I recommend downloading and trying out Sam Linux, a live cd version of
| PcLinuxOS 2007 configured to use the XFCE interface. Give it a try! It's
| worth the effort!
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=269

Related:

Xfce 4.4: The best lightweight desktop environment

,----[ Quote ]
| For years, the lightweight Xfce has been a popular desktop environment
| for Linux distributions running on older hardware, thanks to its lower
| demand on resources as compared to KDE and GNOME; it's an ideal desktop
| for machines with less than 256MB of memory. Until recently, however,
| using Xfce was a little laborious, but with its latest release last
| month, Xfce is a much more usable desktop environment.

Open Source Desktop: Xfce's Advantages

,----[ Quote ]
| Most GNU/Linux users choose GNOME or KDE for desktops without
| thinking. However, many alternatives exist, ranging from minimalist
| graphic environments in window managers like IceWM to entire
| alternative desktops, such as ROX.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3668006

Good and Bad in XFCE

,----[ Quote ]
| Some time ago I was tagging Zenwalk Linux 2.8 as DWW's Featured
| Distribution of the Week...
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2051

Xfce 4.2.4 released