[News] Microsoft-BBC Fiasco an Absolute Disaster Even to XP SP2/IE/WMP Users

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft-BBC Fiasco an Absolute Disaster Even to XP SP2/IE/WMP Users
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:36:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
BBC iPlayer: More bugs than a door mat

,----[ Quote ]
| I just found my invite to the new BBC iPlayer beta service. I got very
| excited to (finally!) be part of a major piece of online video history and
| man oh man is it bad. It’s so bad, it makes Windows 3.11 look awesome.
`----

http://ekstreme.com/thingsofsorts/fun-web/bbc-iplayer-more-bugs-than-a-door-mat

Quick review of BBC iPlayer

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ll give it a year before I’m writing a “told you so” entry on here about
| how the BBC are handing control for the on-line distribution of their
| invaluable archive over to Microsoft.
`----

http://howgoodisthis.wordpress.com/2007/07/30/quick-review-of-bbc-iplayer/

BBC iPlayer - Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyway, those are my views on the iPlayer. I’ve broadly covered the DRM
| controversy before but when you see it in action, it’s not only terrible on a
| freedom of use level, but also on usability level. If you have any questions
| or views, drop them in the comments. And before you ask, I don’t have any
| invites to give away.
`----

http://www.oakinnovations.co.uk/blog/2007/07/31/bbc-iplayer-review/

TV operators abusing DRM to push sales of their own PVR boxes.

,----[ Quote ]
| TV operators are starting to abuse CGMS-A effectively locking people using
| third party PVR software, like Windows MCE, to record shows that should not
| be restricted while their own boxes mostly ignore the same flag. Complain to
| regulatory agencies if you are affected. DRM abuse is only beginning ...
`----

http://digg.com/television/TV_operators_abusing_DRM_to_push_sales_of_their_own_PVR_boxes

Microsoft DRM issues: C00D11E2, C00D11B1, C00D11D0, C00D2748.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://supportingnetflix.com/index.php?topic=11.0