[News] Linux Partitioning is Easy, But Myths/Lies Being Spread

  • Subject: [News] Linux Partitioning is Easy, But Myths/Lies Being Spread
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 05:21:37 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
GNU/Linux Partitioning: A Myth

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s annoying to read so much about partitioning under GNU/Linux being hard.
| Though I have installed various distributions (and still installing) for
| about 50 times in a year (without exaggeration) for myself, my friends and
| known people; this claim about “Partitioning under GNU/Linux is hard” is
| really baseless since I’ve never faced such complication till now even though
| I am not an extremely advanced user.
`----

http://linuxevangelist.blogspot.com/2007/07/gnulinux-partitioning-myth.html

It's important for shills to make up such lies because it makes people afraid
of installing Linux (on a second partition). Windows goes as far as sabotaging
the MBR.

Related:

Vista scoots to new boot, but it's still kinda rooted

,----[ Quote ]
| While Microsoft would like the world to believe that anyone running Windows
| has no need of any other operating system, that attitude doesn?t cut much
| mustard with many of its users.
|
| Why settle for one OS when your PC is easily capable of running two or
| more?
|
| [...]
|
| One of the more questionable tactics that Microsoft has implemented in
| Vista is to automatically overwrite any existing MBR during the
| installation process without asking if you mind or giving you an option
| to back up.
|
| Microsoft says that the Windows installation system can't intelligently
| interrogate an existing non-MS MBR, although such features are quite
| common in the install routine for other OSes.
|
| It also argues that an "official" Vista MBR is required for security
| features -- such as measured boot, which works with Trusted Platform
| Module (TPM)-enabled chips to check that the OS hasn't been hacked or
| altered each time it boots -- to work correctly.
`----

http://www.apcstart.com/site/akidman/2006/09/1656/vista-scoots-to-new-boot-but-its-still-kinda-rooted

Geek in Paradise - Vista Upgrade

,----[ Quote ]