[News] Cisco Enters Virtualisation as Well, Symantex Bets on Free Open Source Virtualisation

  • Subject: [News] Cisco Enters Virtualisation as Well, Symantex Bets on Free Open Source Virtualisation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:02:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Cisco Sticks Its Foot In The Data Center Door

,----[ Quote ]
| For the first time, the networking vendor has spelled out the endgame of its
| virtualization strategy, which looks increasingly like the end of physical
| servers as we know them.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070729/tc_cmp/201201651

Not licensing to VMware? Purely technical, says Symantec

,----[ Quote ]
| Symantec very recently announced that it has licensed its Storage Foundation
| software to XenSource, which is to embed the Symantec storage management
| software into its processor virtualization platform. The integration is
| promised to improve the manageability of XenSource's virtual servers.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=6362D1C2-644E-4F57-971B-F4F035F4F05C

Great opportunity for GNU/Linux.

Days ago:

Cisco to take small stake in virtualization company

,----[ Quote ]
| Cisco Systems said it will pay $150 million for a small stake in a
| virtualization software company called VMware, which operates as a unit of
| storage giant EMC.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9751065-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

The Year of Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| I think that Windows will continue to succumb to Linux in the data
| center, MySQL and Postgres will continue to win projects that once
| fell to Oracle and DB/2.
`----

http://virtualization.sys-con.com/read/162110_p.htm

Virtualization: Linux's killer app

,----[ Quote ]
| Think about it. Even Microsoft supports running Linux on its Virtual
| Server product. Why would it do that? Wouldn't an OS partitioning
| technology, such as that used by OpenVz or Sun Solaris, be more in
| keeping with the kind of homogeneous environments that Microsoft
| would like to see? Why would Microsoft invest its resources to
| support a virtual machine technology that can only open the
| door to Linux in the datacenter?
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/02/19/08OPopenent_1.html

Virtualisation gets trendy