Re: [News] Classic Example of Turning Unwanted PCs into Powerful Linux Servers

John Locke <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 06:03:31 +0100, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste
>>
>>,----[ Quote ]
>>| Beau Baconguis of the Southeast Asia section of the environmental
>>| protection organization Greenpeace has warned that the introduction
>>| by Microsoft of its new operating system Windows Vista might as a
>>| side effect trigger a deluge of electronic waste (E-waste). "With
>>| Vista, Microsoft could effectively hasten the obsolesence of half
>>| the world's PCs, especially in the absence of fully-functioning
>>| global take back systems for PCs," Ms. Baconguis declared.
>>`----
>>
>>http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/84816/from/rss09
>
> I think they've got that backwards. Because of Linux, a lot of old
> systems are being revived and saved from the landfill. I've got enough
> parts to build about 10 PCs in the 700 MHZ to 1 Gig range and load
> them with Linux. At one point in time I was thinking about recycling all
> that junk but now I've seen the light and a bunch of needy people
> will have perfectly usable computers. And its fun !

Good man!  Find a school, library, hostel or other publicly or charity
funded organisation; at least one which has not been conned into
thinking that they need Vista (what on earth for?) by Microsoft.