Re: [sclug] Defective by Design - BBC London Protest - August 14th (also, Manchester?)

____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 29 July 2007 12:13 : \____

> ed <ed@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> From: Matt Lee
>>
>> Today the BBC made it official -- they have been corrupted by Microsoft.
>> With today's launch of the iPlayer, the BBC Trust has failed in its most
>> basic of duties and handed over to Microsoft sole control of the on-line
>> distribution of BBC programming. From today, you will need to own a
>> Microsoft operating system to view BBC programming on the web.
>>
>> ****** http://www.defectivebydesign.org/blog/BBCcorrupted *******
>>
>> Please Digg: http://tinyurl.com/3dzo57
>>
>> Please Reddit: http://reddit.com/info/2a0qt/
>>
>> Also, if you're in the North of England and would be interested in a
>> potential protest at BBC Manchester on the same day, please considering
>> joining 'Manchester Free Software'. As you may know, the BBC is soon to
>> move large amounts of its London operations to Manchester and Salford.

>> If you're a British citizen or resident, you can also sign this
>> petition:- http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/iplayer/
>>
>> You can also leave comments about the service, and demand a service that
>> works on free software systems, such as GNU/Linux, on the BBC iPlayer
>> Messageboard - http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/F7357542
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> matt
>>
>> ---
>> Matt Lee - Free Software Foundation/GNU Project
>>

> I just went to the bbc messageboard site, but I can't sign-in using
> Lynx.
>
> Some fool was questioning why someone who spent time in Spain would have
> a BBC licence, and, amazingly, saying it was "just a trial" so it's okay
> to only serve Microsoft customers using the Microsoft iPlayer.
>
> The message was so badly spelt and constructed that I suspect he's not
> even been paid to post it.

Have you seen the reviews? They are abysmal, just like the player (even if you
have XP SP2+IE+WMP to actually **use** the darn blob, which tax money bought
from a convicted monopoly abuser).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread