[News] More Opposition to New Tricks in Micorosft's OOXML Monopoly Enablement in the UK

  • Subject: [News] More Opposition to New Tricks in Micorosft's OOXML Monopoly Enablement in the UK
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 06:22:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Take away open standards, take away the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| By trying to slam through a 6000-page specification on a "fast track"
| measured in weeks, that opponent appears to seek to turn a technical debate
| to a political one.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/7/28/23877/

Related:

Microsoft criticized for Open XML petition

,----[ Quote ]
| The petition is an attempt to make it appear that Open XML
| has "pseudo-grassroots" support, argues Mark Taylor, the
| founder of the Open Source Consortium.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6173625.html

Microsoft calls on UK public to raise the Office standard

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is calling on the Great British public to join its campaign
| to get the XML Office format adopted as an international standard.
|
| [...]
|
| It is not clear if the UK is an opponent. However, a representative
| of fellow member the Bureau of Indian Standards recently reportedly
| complained to the IndiaTime.com over Microsoft's decision to dump
| 6,000 pages of documentation on them.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/04/microsoft_office_standards_petition/

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800