Re: [News] Vista PCs Still Turned to XP, Not the Other Way Around

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
<linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:03:28 GMT
<slrnfak5qt.pm1.linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Microsoft Buries Windows XP in Windows Vista
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Windows XP might not be officially declared expired, but Microsoft has done
>> | its best to completely drown the operating system in Windows Vista
>> | references. Want to witness first hand the Redmond company's desperation to
>> | push Vista over XP?
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Buries-Windows-XP-in-Windows-Vista-61128.shtml
>>
>> The recent stories suggest that not many people 'upgrade'. New PCs have Vista
>> wiped (for Linux or XP).
>
> What a scream!
>
>    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/default.mspx
>
> And linux users get this screamer at that page:
>
>    Your operating system cannot be detected

Muhahahahahaha.  Linux...the stealth OS (to anyone who's
not paying attention :-) ).

BTW, in case Microsoft needs to buy a clue (surely they
can afford one at this point?):

    Gecko/20070627 Epiphany/2.16 Firefox/2.0.0.4

Maybe Epiphany gives it too much info?

Galeon:

    Gecko/20070627 Galeon/2.0.1 Firefox/2.0.0.4

Straight Firefox:

    Gecko/20070627 Firefox/2.0.0.4

Slightly brain-dead (by design) Dillo:

Konqueror, which has its own ideas:

    (like Gecko)

For its part Opera also has its own ideas:

as does Lynx:

and Links:

www and w3c, line-mode affairs (I'm not sure if they're both the same or
not):

and Amaya:

Now if Microsoft sees a request from Dillo, Amaya, www/w3c,
or Lynx they might have an excuse, but all the rest clearly
have "Linux" and "X11" in their User-Agent strings (except
Links doesn't include the latter, which is understandable
as it's text-only).

This is opposed to IE6's:

(The Win98 is presumably an artifact of my WinE/IES4Linux install.
I'd have to look.)

If I use IE6 on Linux and view the above webpage, I get
the very, erm, comforting message

    Your computer is not running Windows XP, so can't be upgraded to
    Windows XP Service Pack 2

Yeah, thanks for that.  At least it's vaguely correct,
though it doesn't quite answer the question as to why I'd
really want to bother upgrading to XPSP3 ... erm, I mean,
XPSP2 ... anyway.

ObDoh:  DOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!1!!1!!!111!!

(I'm not sure what Safari's headers would be, since I don't have a Linux
variant handy.)

> Also, I can't seem to find a list of supported applications for Win
> XP-64 there.

Don't worry.  Windows will "innovate" them soon enough. ;-)
How long did we want to wait for that "innovation"? ;-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #10239993:
char * f(char *p) {char *q = malloc(strlen(p)); strcpy(q,p); return q; }