[News] Marketing: The Last Puzzle Piece for Linux Adoption on Desktops

  • Subject: [News] Marketing: The Last Puzzle Piece for Linux Adoption on Desktops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 04:35:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The last Linux adoption barrier is marketing

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM gave us the Linux boy” ads. Like all IBM ads, they are convoluted and
| make little sense. Frankly, those ads would have been better suited for
| Wikipedia. A little boy swiftly absorbing the wisdom, advice, and information
| of the ages? Yeah, Wikipedia ad, but at the end of the ad, I would have no
| idea what Linux is.
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/07/25/the-last-linux-adoption-barrier-is-marketing/

Related:

GNU/Linux on the desktop: a modest business proposal

,----[ Quote ]
| GNU/Linux is a great project, with fantastic underlying technology,
| but its name conjures up images of geek humor, stuffy Unix-like
| machines from a 1970s university, and--worst of all--servers. Not
| desktops. Therefore, I propose we set up a business that will
| fork the kernel into a new project, let?s call it MegaOS, and
| install that onto a set of new machines, each branded with our
| corporate MegaOS logo.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/gnu_linux_on_the_desktop_a_modest_business_proposal
http://tinyurl.com/3dmrel

[Opinion] Switch to Linux? No. Get a Mac Clone.

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm a marketing guy, and I look at everything in my world from a marketing
| perspective. From that perspective I think this whole "Switch to Linux"
| thing is unnecessarily hard work - so I take an easier approach to help
| people move in that direction.
|
| [...]
|
| And to finish this article, Kudos to Linux. I get two reactions when
| people look at the desktop on my Laptop and Desktop. One is.. "Er.. is
| that a Mac?" and the other is "Why don't you just buy a Mac?". Well
| kudos is due, because I don't NEED to buy a Mac. I can get the Mac
| look and feel, which I like, and the massive productivity boost of
| the desktop cube ( and enjoyable extras ) even on my three year
| old HP laptop.
`----

http://linuxscorecard.blogspot.com/2007/03/switch-to-linux-no-get-mac-clone.html
http://tinyurl.com/3bsk5l

IBM updates Power server, Linux marketing

,----[ Quote ]
| To that end, IBM also plans to announce a marketing program at
| the Open Solutions Summit, an open-source conference in New York.
| The plan, a new element to its "migration factory," is intended
| to woo customers using Linux on x86 servers running the popular
| "LAMP" stack of Web server software--Linux, the Apache Web server,
| the MySQL database and the PHP scripting language to create Web
| pages on the fly.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1010_3-6159186.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Open Source, Linux and the importance of marketing and public perception

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://rudd-o.com/archives/2006/09/20/open-source-linux-and-the-importance-of-marketing-and-public-perception/
http://tinyurl.com/rdbx4