Re: [News] Sony Playstation3 Gains Great Momentum in America (While Microsoft XBox360 Sinks?)

> Well, well, well...
>
> How things change.
>
> PlayStation 3 sales boost in US
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Sony said that the $100 (£50) price cut to the 60GB PS3 led to a 135% sales
>| rise over the last two weeks.
>|
>| Independent figures for sales of the cheaper PS3 are not yet available.
>|
>| "This jump in sales bodes very well for us heading into the fall as we launch
>| an impressive arsenal of hardware and software," Jack Tretton, head of Sony
>| Computer Entertainment America, said in a statement.
> `----

I'm unsurprised at this.  Sony have been playing this game for so many
years, that I didn't really expect to see them go out without a fight.
They did appear to have some genuine production problems with their
lasers, which do appear to have been fixed, so a price-cut is a good
way of boosting sales, now that they can keep production up with sales -
having too many back-orders is not ideal, you lose far too many customers
that way.

> See the article below. So after Microsoft crashed Sony's parties (in a most
> aggressive and unethical way) and dpread FUD, these Linux-ready machines
> apparently gain attraction.
>

> Related:
>
> Microsoft Xbox 360 Sales Plunge 60% As Problems Mount
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Microsoft's growing troubles with the Xbox 360 video game console appear to
>| be catching up to the company. Sales of the gaming machine plunged 60% in the
>| fiscal fourth quarter, Microsoft disclosed Thursday. In its earnings
>| statement for the quarter, Microsoft said it shipped 700,000 Xbox 360 units
>| during the period, compared to 1.8 million in the fiscal fourth quarter of
>| 2006 -- a fall off of 61%.
> `----
>
> http://www.mtechxp.net/main/microsoft-xbox-360-sales-plunge-60-as-problems-mount

Again, this was bound to hit the headlines in the end.  Microsoft's
approach - attempting to cover up and hide the problems says so much
about their corporate ethics and values.  A product recall and redesign
was the only proper solution, which most consumer electronics companies
would have done, whilst not trying to hide the problem.

Worse, having call-centre staff say that they are "laughing at you now",
is really incredible.

I think they have enough titles out there to survive with an XBox360-2,
if they can just get it out of the door at a reasonable price, but
again, I do suspect that they lack the production experience to know how
to do this to a budget.