[News] Lawyer: Microsoft Vapour Arguments Weakened by Lack of Evidence

  • Subject: [News] Lawyer: Microsoft Vapour Arguments Weakened by Lack of Evidence
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:34:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft is not bound by GPLv3: Lawyer

,----[ Quote ]
| "If you ever have to defend your patent in court, you have to prove that
| there wasn't any prior art. The other party is likely to cite similar ideas
| to your patent to disprove it. It's possible some could be struck down.
|
| "These patents are worth more to Microsoft challenged than unchallenged," she
| added.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Microsoft-is-not-bound-by-GPLv3-Lawyer/0,130061733,339280477,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/2oqody

Recent:

No revival of software patents debate

,----[ Quote ]
| All speakers welcomed unequivocally the opportunity to discuss the issue at a
| high level and made clear that a new CII debate followed by legal
| modifications was neither necessary nor desirable.
`----

http://www.epo.org/focus/news/2007/20070706.html

A Patent Is Worth Having, Right? Well, Maybe Not

,----[ Quote ]
| For most public companies, patents don’t pay off, say a couple of researchers
| who have crunched the numbers.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/glogin?URI=http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/business/yourmoney/15proto.html&OQ=_rQ3D1&OP=33f1970fQ2FQ2BswcQ2BHgYmQ51ggQ23PQ2BPxxLQ2BxLQ2B@fQ2BckmT)wmmQ2B9gkQ51og)w9Q2B@fRQ51gQ23gU7Q23oV

Linux Expert: Microsoft Is Throwing Money Away

,----[ Quote ]
| "If [Microsoft] found the knife, they'd use it -- but I don't think they
| found the knife," Bottomley says, referring to patent violations. He rattled
| off a few of the Linux community's defenses: "Patent law is supposed to
| protect people who wish to publish their ideas. I suspect these ideas were
| never published. Whoever invented [something] first is entitled to the
| patent -- it wouldn't be unlikely to be [the open source community], in which
| case the patent would be invalid."
`----

http://rcpmag.com/blogs/weblog.aspx?blog=1102

House Committee OKs Patent Bill