Re: [News] [Microsoft/Intel Shills Struck Again!] Linux Laptops to Get Web Filters

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 23 July 2007 09:43 : \____

>> Pupils browse porn on donated laptops
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| A representative of the One Laptop Per Child aid group was quoted as saying
>>| that the computers, part of a pilot scheme, would now be fitted with
>>| filters.
>> `----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070720/od_nm/nigeria_pornography_dc;_ylt=A0WTUfF176FG8XwBExgZ.3QA

This whole article was FALSE. Shame on its publisher.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/communications/soa/OLPC-achieves-2km-range-in-802-11s-tests/0,130061791,339277912,00.htm
>> http://tinyurl.com/yqpax4
>
> It's good, but don't expect to get that kind of performance in all
> locations.  The majority of 802.11 versions operate in the 2G4Hz band,
> and 2450MHz just happens to be the centre-frequency of most microwave
> ovens due to the absorption characteristics of water, consequently, and
> water vapour in the air will absorb WiFi signals, and any nearby
> microwave ovens are quite likely to wipe-out links by generating
> hundreds of watts of power at those frequencies.
>
> Many developing countries or regions in low-humidity continental locations
> with few or no microwave ovens will get good radio performance, though.

Oh, dear. Reports on the Web seem to suggest that that we have another case
of 'politics' in a technical article. Example post:

http://digg.com/tech_news/100_Laptop_Production_Begins_2

"The recent reports about children using it for pron is fake. The children
searched for information about AIDS and it was one of the childrens parents
who was browsing pron. Since the children are taking the laptops home, in the
night, anyone in the family is able to use it. It was reported that the mom
used it to purchase pants on eBay, and the big sister opened an account on
Myspace.

The bloggers who spread the pron story are pretty lame not to verify their
sources. The originating story was written by someone who wanted to get
traffic and who is personally against the OLPC project, probably corrupted by
a competitor to spread negative ideas in the bloggosphere."

Many of Microsoft's shills have been relentlessly using media 'placements' to
discredit a not-for-profit project that helps children in developing
countries. Just something to be aware of because such greed is disgraceful...

I have given more examples of anti-OLPC shilling is a separate thread. How sad.
Humanity versus good cause.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
Cpu(s): 26.9%us,  4.5%sy,  1.0%ni, 63.0%id,  4.2%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st