[News] Media Shills Spread Anti-OLPC (Linux) FUD

  • Subject: [News] Media Shills Spread Anti-OLPC (Linux) FUD
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:57:04 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
This is one among several stories that argue it was FUD.

http://digg.com/tech_news/100_Laptop_Production_Begins_2

"The recent reports about children using it for pron is fake. The children
searched for information about AIDS and it was one of the childrens parents
who was browsing pron. Since the children are taking the laptops home, in the
night, anyone in the family is able to use it. It was reported that the mom
used it to purchase pants on eBay, and the big sister opened an account on
Myspace.

The bloggers who spread the pron story are pretty lame not to verify their
sources. The originating story was written by someone who wanted to get
traffic and who is personally against the OLPC project, probably corrupted by
a competitor to spread negative ideas in the bloggosphere."

Many of Microsoft's shills have been relentlessly using media 'placements' to
discredit a not-for-profit project that helps children in developing
countries. Just something to be aware of because such greed is disgraceful...

Related:

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

One Laptop Per Child - Production Delays Caused By Microsoft, Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
| I sincerely hope that no matter what the people who are running the
| OLPC project decide, that their project will continue and not get
| bogged down in a play of corporate greed and ambitions.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/28/one-laptop-per-child-production-delays-caused-by-microsoft-intel/

One Laptop Per Child clarity

,----[ Qote ]
| The bulk of the confusion and conspiracy theorising which accompanied
| the recent announcement seems to centre on this point.
|
| The specs were not boosted to accommodate windows...
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1481

Despite upgrades, security experts fear $100 laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Labeled as Bitfrost, the security architecture offers everything
| from embedded technology to allow more powerful encryption, to
| so-called "theft leases" that allow the laptops to be shut down
| remotely if stolen. To eliminate many of the virus attacks that
| plague common desktops, the Linux-based operating system of the
| XO-1 cannot be altered.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070325/tc_infoworld/87154

Make that 'experts'. Sonia Arrison, Rob Enderle... among many more. It's clear
who pays their bills.